Sunday, November 30, 2008

VNV Nation - El Rey Theater, October 22nd

I know this review is long overdue, but whatever.

I went and met Rita at her dorm at 6 and we drove to the El Rey theater. We got there an hour before and stood in line. Once again, I'm baffled by the fact that people didn't start showing up until half an hour before the doors opened. Oh if only AFI or MCR shows were like this! So we went and stood in front of the stage and met a nice guy named Ricky and his girlfriend (?) whose name I don't remember ;_; She and I bonded over liking NSync and the Spice Girls once upon a time. I honestly don't remember the opening bands. I guess they weren't that impressive, but VNV Nation sure was.

They opened with Joy which is possibly my favorite song. They had such energy and I loved jumping around to the music. The crowd always left you enough room to move and breathe, I really appreciate that about electronica shows. I can't remember the set list and everything kinda blends together so I guess this'll be a short review but I loved it. The singer was hilarious and very endearing and he said some things that were really moving. Hearing them play live was so awesome, you really just got to move to the music. It was also the loudest crowd I've ever been in.

There was a girl behind us who was really drunk and kept screaming in our ears and then she kept apologizing. It was kinda funny. I didn't mind. And the fact that I was tall meant that I kept grabbed onto for support and balance. Amused me. Oh and there was this random moment where a dude dressed in nothing but speed-o and a horse head walked up to the singer and handed him a drink. SO. SURREAL!

After the show we were gonna wait for the band but we were pretty beat and hungry so we went to Swingers instead and had a very late dinner. Then we went back to rita's and went to sleep. So all in all a successful concert!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home